Monday, April 27, 2009

Jews and Stereotypes

A few weeks ago, I ordered a couple of bagels from a local bakery. My friend laughed and said "how Jewish of you". Later that same day, he started asking if I could buy him a soda since he was short. He asked to borrow some 'Jew gold' which apparently I was supposed to keep around my neck as jewelry. Jews can't seem to escape the stereotypes that surround us. For instance, we have the stereotype of the Jewish mother. The stereotype generally involves a nagging, overprotective, manipulative, controlling, smothering, and overbearing mother or wife, one who persists in interfering in her children's lives long after they have become adults. As much as I hate to say this but this is one stereotype that I am convinced is true but I digress. I'm sure we've all heard the joke of a Jewish mother saying in a New York accent for their children to wear a sweater. Then there is the notion of large noses. Does this have any genetic basis? I have no idea. I never notice Jews having big noses but maybe I’m just not paying enough attention. Anyway, Jews seem to embrace these stereotypes as part of their identity because, once again, we come to Jews uses humor as part of their identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment