Monday, April 27, 2009

Jews and Israel

I've been working on the paper for class all of this week. Basically, my paper is based off a JTA article which reports a speech Obama did on March 26th to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Egypt-Israel peace treaty. He announced that peace was possible in the middle east between the Arabs and the Israelis. My paper serves to question why the president feels a need to use Israel as part of his foreign policy. My proposal is that he uses Israel as a way to connect to the Jewish people. Jews identify with Israel. Now, I tried to explain this to my boyfriend but he didn't understand. He doesn't understand how a group of people can feel so attached to a small patch of land that is merely the size of New Jersey. I tried to explain but I don't think I could explain it. I tried to explain the historic significance of Israel. Is it because of the history? I also tried to explain the religious significance to my boyfriend. I told him about the temple and the western wall but he still didn't understand. Is it because of our religion? What connects Jews to Israel?

Birthright definitely tries to explain that Israel is an important part of Judaism with their program to send young Jews to Israel. Complete with attractive Israeli troops. Why is Israel Jewish? What makes Israel Jewish? I don't know anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment