Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Orthodox Judaism, TRADITION!!

Sorry, I couldn't hold that in anymore. My apologizes for writing this blog entry a little late but I found myself buried in work which included two tests, a paper and an art project that I simply forgot to write on here. Again, my apologizes.

Which leads me gracefully into my next topic, Orthodox Judaism. Now, admittingly, when I think of Orthodox Judaism I picture a bunch of snobby white men with beards and top hats who refuse to socialize with girls. Thankfully my perspective has changed and I find myself compelled by this movement. They have continued their way of thinking for years while adding bits on the side. Women can be educated and can study Judaism but with the comfort of other women (though we can't be rabbis).

I find it interesting that Orthodox Judaism, rather than crumbling under outside culture, they simply incorporate their own culture into wider society. Now, we have Jewish bakeries, Jewish music stores, Jewish book stores... all from the east coast I noticed. This movement, while keeping its own traditions in check is still able to coexist with the main culture around them whereas Reform and Conservative are determined to open its door to the rest of society.

Orthodox Judaism, while their right beliefs may annoy me, I do have to admire their devotion to their religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment